Senior Specialist Safety Engineer
Holt Executive are partnered with a global maritime and defence technology innovator who provide advanced defence and commercial technologies to aerospace, aviation, land and sea, delivering solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs.
They require a Senior Specialist Safety Engineer to join a growing systems safety engineering team in Bristol. The successful applicant will receive exposure and experience working on large scale projects with opportunities to advance their career in the field of systems safety applied to maritime control and automation systems.
The successful applicant will carry out safety assurance activities for the development and in-service support of complex electronic systems and support delivery of safe systems through the production of safety cases, underpinned by appropriate levels of safety engineering analysis.
Key Responsibilities required by the Senior Specialist Safety Engineer:
- To act as the safety Subject Matter Expert (SME) on a variety projects; supplying knowledge and experience in the defence environment for the development of real-time software and electronic systems in the function of Safety Engineering.
- To plan and carry out safety management activities, with review by safety peers, for project scope commensurate with applicable standards at the required Safety Integrity Level (SIL).
- Lead in the derivation and assessment of safety requirements, understanding how to achieve those requirements and verify they have been met, including SIL assessments and safety justifications on the design. Also lead in identifying any gaps in existing safety requirements already implemented.
- Manage safety and environmental arguments to support the safety case in compliance with all relevant standards, legislations and regulations.
- To lead safety review meetings with safety stakeholders for purposes of Hazard Identification and Analysis (HIA) and safety / environmental risk reduction.
- Lead in the use of both quantitative and qualitative techniques for analysing failures of both software and hardware.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required by the Senior Specialist Safety Engineer:
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience.
- Excellent planning, communications (including client-handling), organisational and co-ordination skills
- Significant knowledge and experience in def stan 00-056 and 00-055
- Experience in working to IEC 61508
- Knowledge and experience of both quantitative and qualitative techniques for analysing failures of both software and hardware, using appropriate methods and analysis