Holt Executive are partnered with a Global Satellite Connectivity Organisation, a market leader in providing voice and high-speed data communications to a number of critical industries. With massive recent investment in their latest network infrastructure, they are at the forefront of space and satellite innovation.
They require a Service Desk Engineer to support the Global Government (G2) direct customers’ telecommunications needs and be the first point of contact for their operational support requirements. This will include receiving and actioning customer standard service requests, responding to service incidents and outages to diagnose faults and restore services, maintaining customer facing IT services, as well as testing and preparing satellite terminal hardware for field operations.
The Service Desk Engineer will need to engage with both the end customer in the field as well as other internal teams to manage the delivery and/or restoration of services within required time frames. You will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Engineering Manager with minimal supervision and instruction on daily work and more detailed guidance on new assignments to develop the skills required to support customers.
The Service Desk will operate a 24/7/365 follow the sun model between Sydney (8hrs), London (8hrs) and Ottawa (8hrs), requiring strong communications skills, interpreting and applying policies and processes to resolve technical problems with accurate and clearly documented case notes, to enable support cases to be transitioned seamlessly between regional team shifts.
Key Responsibilities for the Service Desk Engineer:
- Answer customer technical support calls and emails in fluent English language
- Triage the requests and incidents, conduct further investigation as required and progress the delivery or resolution of technical problems
- Work a rotating shift pattern to ensure the service desk is supported at all times (24/7/365)
- Provide customer staff in the field with telephone support on equipment operation and fault-finding
- Understand satellite terminals from a set up and support perspective
- Completion of allocated tasks to required quality within the agreed completion schedule
- Ensure all support Service Level Agreements are met, keeping customer updated on progress
- Conduct maintenance activities on IT systems and satellite terminal hardware in accordance with documented Work Instructions
- Generation of knowledge articles to assist or speed up future operations
Essential Knowledge and Skills for the Service Desk Engineer:
- A Diploma or Degree in an Engineering discipline relevant to IT server administration or IP network engineering or telecommunications
- Must hold citizenship and have a suitable background to qualify and maintain a government security clearance for the location country
- Maintenance and support of physical and virtual Windows Server systems
- Troubleshooting and resolving networking or communications systems incidents
- Ability to prepare technical documentation and reports under supervision
- Must be able to listen and empathise with customer issues – putting the customer first
- Must have a sense of urgency and ownership of customer requirements and incidents
- Motivated to achieve required task to industry BEST standard in a busy environment
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Certifications in IP Networking / Cisco networking
- Experience in satellite communications, telecommunications and/or IP networks
- Knowledge of Linux and Microsoft operating systems
- Knowledge of network virtualisation technologies (VMware, Hyper-V)
- VSAT installation and fault-finding experience